Signs Your Replacement Windows Were Improperly Installed
When it comes to replacement window installation, the quality of the window and the knowledge and experience of the installer largely dictates whether the window will have future problems.
Here are a few signs your windows may be improperly installed:
- Difficulty opening and closing. If your window sticks and you have to force it to move or it doesn’t reach the frame when you try to close it, it will likely leak.
- Noticeable gaps between the frame and the window sill or wall mean the window wasn’t the correct size.
- You feel a draft which usually happens because the windows either weren’t fit or caulked properly. Incorrect installation can also cause the seal to break and result in a draft.
- Water damage can occur if windows aren’t level or flashing was poorly installed or broken. You may notice dampness or mold under the window or along the window frame and sill. Over time, a leaky window can cause serious damage to your walls and floor.
- Fog between the panes. Between the panes of glass is a layer of gas that improves your window’s energy efficiency. If the seal breaks, this gas escapes, and water vapor can seep in. The water vapor condenses into fog or water droplets between the panes of glass. If you see this, your window is permanently damaged and you’ll need a replacement.
It’s best to work with a window replacement specialist rather than a generalist. A seasoned expert has run into most of the common and uncommon challenges that can come up and will know how to address them.
If you want to work with a replacement window company that has been serving Wisconsin homeowners for more than 50 years, call AHT Wisconsin Windows at 888.874.9339. All of our windows are made in the USA and come with a 50- year warranty on the windows and workmanship. We are a family-owned and operated business that serves Appleton, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Madison, and the surrounding areas.